Lancium is a technology company creating software and technical solutions that enable the faster growth of renewable energy. Our products include Lancium Smart Response for server power management, the Lancium Compute Platform for high throughput computing applications and Lancium Clean Compute Centers that absorb excess renewable energy. These solutions help ensure that renewable energy can power our future.
Lancium is seeking a Senior SCADA Engineer to join our expanding team. We are constructing power campuses in west Texas, and other locations in North America. A power campus consists of High Voltage (HV) connection to Transmission voltage, HV to Medium Voltage (MV) Substation, and MV to Low Voltage (LV) power distribution to inside the Data Center. Each campus can have several Data Centers or similar large loads or generation, often with varying complexity. Each campus is managing between 200 MW and 1000 MW, delivering MV electricity to our own or customer loads and balancing the operational electrical load between the need of the Grid and our customer.
The primary responsibility of this role it to take the company from a postion of no SCADA to safely running a robust SCADA system, within a period of about 12-14 months. This will occur in an environment of daily/hourly up/down ramping of large Data Center loads, sometimes requiring the remote operation of HV and MV protection infrastructure. A key early deliverable is creation of secure and intelligent metering and submetering systems to segregate billing of different customer loads, and balance of plant equipment, often including revenue class measurement applications. All applications will require coordinated time stamping of events and actions, for operational coordination and lessons learned analysis of automatic and protection actions.
This is an important start-up role, rapidly developing, designing, and implementing the company’s power SCADA system over the life cycle of a specific project, for the portfolio of campuses, and for the “Power Dashboard” of the company. The ideal SCADA Engineer has 10 to 15 years developing and deploying electrical power SCADA, greenfield site construction, and MRO operating experience at site-built data centers or similar technology centers. Ideal candidates will have experience in both SCADA and Project Engineering. This position will concurrently develop detailed internal projects (Network Operations Center - NOC, Power Operations Center - POC), SCADA interface development with EPC engineering teams, and the electricity supplier’s (Supply Operations Center SOC) monitoring and control systems. This position requires independent work, personal flexibility, and achieving results by utilizing internal/external resources that will vary from certified professionals to non-certified technicians. Stakeholders and users of the systems may not be SCADA qualified, and will have to be trained.
This position provides the opportunity to lead and construct the SCADA systems which are the CAPEX foundation of Lancium, while delivering mission critical electric power monitoring and control to NOC and POC decision makers. The execution teams’ internal customer are the Lancium IT departments who are delivering the revenue milestones for our rapidly growing technology start up. The Senior SCADA Engineer will join a dynamic company with room for advancement as the company expands into new markets and geographies. This position has daily interaction and progress reporting to the top management of Lancium Operations.
Lancium’s technical headquarters are located in Northwest Houston but field travel in west Texas is required. A project site is best located in areas of high concentration of wind and solar generation. Currently this area is east of a line between Fort Stockton and Amarillo, and west of line between Fredericksburg and Wichita Falls. A project site will be remote, but may generally be within 100 miles of a larger city such as Lubbock, Midland, Abilene, San Angelo, Junction, or Childress. A future regional office in west Texas is being considered, so qualified applicants living in the region should apply.
- Coordinate and maintain all functions related to the Power Operations Center and its stakeholders, delivering with a win-win customer focus.
- Ensure compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations and codes.
- Proactively support and enforce the Environmental, Safety, and Health regulations.
- Organize and maintain project reporting in compliance with internal and external stakeholders needs.
- Complete the assigned work scope on time, safely, within budget, in compliance with quality requirements. This includes determining when resources are needed, timing, and the required skill sets.
- Responsible for maintaining effective working relationships in all interpersonal communication, including compliance with the HR requirements and reporting.
- Responsible for timely daily review and recommendation of engineering and work milestone achievements.
- Develop SCADA specifications and standards documentation such as Software and IT cyber-security protocols, Basis of Design and Operating instructions.
- Coordinate with stakeholders to provide and support all fiber optic circuits, DSL/T1 networks and communication infrastructure
- Work with internal departments, external contractors, and customers to proactively create and advance the completion of project milestones
- Ability to create and utilize lessons learned to improve the company’s standards and designs, and find long term opportunities for optimization. This includes preparing the company for the full lifecycle operation of the SCADA system, and guiding the transition from construction commissioning activities to operational activities.
- Develop and provide leadership with all data acquisition projects and communication methodologies for internal and 3rd party partners
- Responsible to update progress in weekly structured meetings
- Supervise any direct reports and provide proactive collaboration across the company.
- At times may be asked to resolve conflict within teams or discuss confrontational issues internally or externally in a professional manner.
- Perform all other related and compatible duties as assigned.
- Must be able to work with confidential information in a professional manner.
- Excellent computer skills in all Microsoft and Google Suite applications, and typical power industry systems and software.
- Comfortable and productive in environment of daily video conferencing.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and schedules in parallel.
- Knowledge of scheduling software such as Primavera, MS Project or Smartsheet.
- Able to identify deliverables and commercial issues by reviewing project information, and working with execution team members to develop most effective execution model, including aspects of change management.
- May at times may be trusted to make decisions based on vague sets of information, lack of information and ambiguity with best professional judgement to achieve project success, never compromising safety.
- Best-in-class verbal and written communication skills. Able to develop, document and convey operations level deliverables to transition from Project environment to Operations environment.
- Understanding of all codes and regulations associated with Campus construction activities
- Familiar with common forms and commercial requirements of construction and engineering contracting, and able to create budgets for new work.
- Ability to communicate, build relationships, and achieve buy-in with all levels of the organization
- Ability to complete the pre-employment process and able to work in the United States.
- Ability to work very effectively without direct daily supervision
- Minimum of 5 years experience in managing large scale IT based projects and designing, developing, and commissioning large scale automation projects
- Experience creating and reading logic flow diagrams for program design, programming, simulation and testing, and start-up
- Experience with fiber optic circuits, VPN connections, industrial networks and industrial protocols
- A background in electrical power generation/transmission/distribution with knowledge of high voltage relaying and protection is desired
- Strong business sense in understanding the impact of decisions on project budgets
- Strong knowledge of safety procedures and management
- Ability to professionally represent the company when dealing with external organizations
- Experience in designing factory or integration tests for external parties to measure up to expected level of Quality.
- Ten to Fifteen Years previous electrical power engineering and project engineering experience on power SCADA systems
- Professional Engineering Certification
- Demonstrated success in the feedback loop of communicating execution experience into future project conceptual efforts, operating a robust lessons learned process
- Site Management, Field service and/or Commissioning background a plus
- Working knowledge of Electrical Substation Protection and Control concepts are preferred.
- Knowledge of Construction Law not required but helpful.
- Additional experience in Automation, Telecommunications, Security, Access Control, CCTV, Fire Detection/Suppression would be of benefit to the company.
The Senior SCADA Engineer will sometimes work at construction sites at a data center with both climate-controlled and non-climate-controlled conditions. There may be exposure to extreme temperatures, noise and vibration, inspection of work at above ground level, and mechanical, electrical (HV/MV/LV), or plant and animal hazards.
Full-time. Monday to Friday schedule, and as mutually agreed when a project requires more time. Work in Houston HQ, future West Texas HQ office, remote by project sites or local office.
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Voluntary Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Holidays and Time Off
Lancium is a technology company creating software and technical solutions that enable the faster growth of renewable energy. Our products include Lancium Smart Response™ for server power management, the Lancium Compute Platform for high throughput computing applications and Lancium Clean Compute Centers™ that absorb excess renewable energy. These solutions help ensure that renewable energy can power our future.
Lancium’s technical headquarters are located in Northwest Houston. Sucessful candidates will join a dynamic company with considerable room for advancement as the company expands into new markets and geographies.